The Oasis at Warwick

Scoontar
Discussion Pro
The Oasis at Warwick

Post by Scoontar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 am

From NEFA Forum-

The Oasis at Warwick was born on Friday, November 4th at 9:50 AM. It was conceived 15 years ago. It will never be "completed", as I see this venture evolving over the rest of my life.

this venture is the brainchild of myself and my friends Joe Gara and Becca Tucker. besides being disc golfers, Joe and Becca are Ultimate addicts. Becca just competed in the US Ultimate club championships in Florida. Becca is the founder and editor of "Dirt Magazine", a local magazine dedicated to "Healthy Living from the Ground Up". (www.dirt-mag.com)

In its simplest form it will become a place to Grow (food), Eat and drink, Play, and stay overnite.

Grow. Eat. Play. Crash.

Grow - a community garden, along with some animals like chickens and goats so we can become as self-sustaining as much as possible.

Eat - a commercial food operation using our homegrown food, quite possibly with a wood-fired pizza oven. a liquor license so guests can re-hydrate responsibly. perhaps some microbrewing on site.

Play - a world-class disc golf course that will also have a beginner-friendly component.
a disc golf pro shop.
a disc sport clubhouse.
lots of Ultimate, with town athletic fields literally next door.
DDC courts
leagues and monthlies in disc golf and Ultimate and other disc-iplines.
an activity trail for running, x-country skiing, and mountain biking.
horseshoes, volleyball, bocce, etc

Crash - camping, glamping (glamorous camping), teepees, treehouses
shower facilities.

how fast this all evolves is unclear at this time. but we are planning on hosting an Ice Bowl sometime this winter.

i am also unclear as to every aspect of the town zoning altho preliminary discussions with town officials leads me to believe
that our ideas will be deemed desirable from their point of view. but bureaucratice obstacles could
derail or delay some aspects of the evolution.

i will be living on site.

it will become a mecca for disc golfers and a disc sport destination, especially given that the 3rd tee of the course that Ken Climo recently declared "his favorite course" is 51 feet from the driveway of The Oasis at Warwick. being an hour from Manhattan has some appeal as well.

i will post as we reach certain milestones, as this 47-acre oasis can become a place many of us may have dreamed about in some shape or form over our years involved with disc sports.

and certainly we will absolutely have to have a grand opening sometime in 2012.

play well with others.

dan doyle

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Re: The Oasis at Warwick

Post by Scoontar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 am

I stopped by Yesterday to check it out. Not much to see so far-I saw 2 baskets in a field. It will be interesting to see how this project develops- The course will hopefully be as good as Dan describes. The Barn area seems very Rustic, and will need some serious Restoration if they are to create a Pizza/Sub Shop. A Pro Shop would be Great.

Parking seemed almost non existent-my guess is they have a plan to build a parking lot.

Dan has a house for rent for $1000. So far no takers.

When I played at Warwick-I was discussing the project with 3 Local League Players-There was basically ZERO enthusiasm. I asked if this is how the majority of the league players felt, and they said Yes. 2 of them haven't made the effort yet to drive across the street, and check it out. One of them Danny Rosana-was the only one to show up from the club for a work day.

So I ask why no enthusiasm-and they basically said-The club is not crazy about Dan. THEY are not to enthused about helping out. They Believe it will take a lot of work to maintain the course-Warwick/Wolfe Woods get Major help from the Parks Department. THEY pointed out personal interactions at Warwick + Wolfe Woods, that have soured them to helping. One of them said he might play the course if Warwick is full, and he doesn't mind spending his Lunch Money on a Round at the Pay 2 Play Oasis. Also they are not to enthused about playing a course with Dan always there. Sounds like sour grapes.

Hopefully everything will work out. So far one of the members brought his brewing equipment to the Barn and Kegs are being drank.

I know I am psyched to have 3 courses so close together.

Cypress Will
Discussion Pro

Post by Cypress Will » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Sound amazing! Hopefully enthusiasm will grow, i don't see how it wouldn't, especially for the pizza shop/bar. However i see how having "Ken Climo's favorite course" across the street as well as Wolfe Woods that one can play for free would make it hard to get people to pay to play. They'd have to make the new course really amazing to get the locals to pay to play there on a regular basis. I could see lots of out of towners come down for the weekend to camp out there and play all the courses. Looking forward to it!

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I think the reason I'm not enthusiastic is it's kind of overkill. Take the best course in NY with 4 layouts, and who has time to play Wolfe Woods, never mind another one. I never play wolfe woods, because it's too close to the animal course. Now another one?

Scoontar I don't think what you say about Dan can all be true, most people love the guy. Not very nice words to read about a guy who I call a good friend.

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Morgan-That's nice that Dan has supported Hyzer Creek with Basket Sponsorship. Dan Has done so much for Disc Golf. I am just going by what I hear. I ask the questions those were the answers I was told.

Dan has always been very nice with me.

Dan grew up in my hometown in NJ. We both graduated from the same high school.

He's been going through some tough family times-I think he deserves more respect.

I am getting very psyched for the Oasis. I will help out where I can. Something great to look forward to during the Winter-if we have one.

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't know the people who are disrespecting Dan, but I have a hunch they are the type who never lifted a finger to help build Warwick or donated a penny toward the pins, and probably throw trash all over the course. Then they form a club and badmouth the guy who built the course they are playing on, and try to pretend their opinion is shared by the majority of their club.

If there were no Dan Doyle there would be no Warwick, but if those other people weren't around, there would be no TRASH on the course.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:46 am

Dan is "they".
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112