Beacon Disc Golf Course-Beacon NY

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Beacon Disc Golf Course-Beacon NY

Post by Scoontar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I played course #122 today-Beacon Disc Golf Course in Beacon NY.

this was posted on the Skylands Board in July

My name is Alan I am one of the people starting the course in Beacon. We are receiving our final approval on Monday to build the course. We are curious if any golfers would want to come over and play through our proposed course with us. (prior to build) We think this location has great potential and we don't want to mess it up. We are also thinking about hosting a little tourney to kick things off. We would probably need some support in getting that off the ground. The course is actually in the NYS Hudson Highlands Park on the grounds of an defunct childrens over night camp (University Settlement Camp). The City of Beacon runs the day to day activities on the property and we are working with the city's Rec. Dept. The cabins that used to house the children will be opening up within the next few years to host over night campers, backpackers from the AT (and disc golfers spouses). Next year the camps pool will most likely be open too. The courses adress is 724 Wolcott Avenue, Beacon, NY (on east side of road). Please contact me if you can help or want to come visit. One member of the group is usually available for a walk through each night. We may be having a little bbq potluck work party Sunday if anyone wants to come. We are trying to have the baskets installed before July 4th weekend.

Thanks
Alan Flynn

Then this on Monday-

The front nine are in.
There is a concert this weekend at the park too. http://local845.com/pines-tickets
We worked on clearing the back nine yesterday and we prepped the tee pads on the front nine. We are going to try and get the back nine installed by Saturday morning.
Check out our website Beacondiscgolf.com
The concerts are performed in a 100 year old barn and are lots of fun.
Come see what we are doing over here.
It is only a 25 minute ride from northern Jersey and a 50 minute ride from Warwick.

The course was Great. DiscCatcher Sport $400 Baskets-the back 9 goes in this week-end.

I played the front 9 2+ times.
Hole 1-slight Downhill-270'-Woody/Techy
Hole 2-Woody/Techy 250'
Hole 3-Big Open-Uphill grade-Narrowing to the Pin 420'
Hole 4 Big Open Downhill grade-430'
Hole 5 Big Open Uphill Grade 350'
Hole 6 Through The cabins-Fun hole 275'
Hole 7 Woody Techy Uphill Hole- 310'
Hole 8 Downhill Woody Hole 270'-breaking right-Great Hole for driving with a putter
Hole 9 Downhill Woody Hole-300+ Great Hole for Mid-range driver.
Back nine goes up and deep into the woods. Maybe an open hole or 2 on 16-17.

Some aspects of this course remind me of Maine Disc Golf.

Looking forward to going back, and playing the full 18.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Re: Beacon Disc Golf Course-Beacon NY

Post by MichiganJeff » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:54 am

Take a look at their website .......... the home page has a slideslide show that includes a picture of #11 at J-Park, looking over the basket at the swamp.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

closed
Advanced

Post by closed » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 am

Also in the slide show picture number 3 is New York States own Chuck Schumer putting. A US Senator putting now there is some publicity. Maybe we could get our other Senator, Kirsten Gilibrand to play CPS or Jay?

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:05 am

That pic of Schumer putting is a couple years old at least, and I think was taken at Warwick's practice pin near hole 1

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:56 am

Any news on this course? They are not on Disc Golf Course Review. Did they get the other 9 in? I am travelling to the Great Jack-o-Lantern Blaze http://www.hudsonvalley.org/index.php on Halloween. Weather permitting Beacon DGC would be a good additional activity.

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Don't make reviews of this course yet on DGRC web site. The designers installed 18 Discatchers recently and are working currently on cutting fairways. Right now the fairways are a mess or non-existant but within a year this will be a great course. If you review it now, the bad review will stay there even after the course is nice. The elevation is huge (it goes up and down the side of Mount Beacon), the woods has great potential, and it needs tee pads. But IT'S PLAYABLE NOW!!!!! But don't expect a nicely groomed course just yet. I played it this weekend and got a 66. Every hole is par 3 but there aren't any fairways yet.

HoosickTony
Intermediate

Post by HoosickTony » Sun May 13, 2012 9:36 pm

O.K. folks, Beacon is WELL WORTH PLAYING. The baskets are all in, the tee areas are marked, the fairways are cut out and defined (still need some tweaks, but there is always a path to the basket if you throw where you are supposed to throw). By the end of this summer it will be a four star course even without real tee pads because it is such an UNREAL place to be throwing discs. It's an abandoned camp, so there is a lot of room and lots of old structures, and the trees are huge.

One hole is a wide open bomb that wraps around a ship's mast that's been planted like a flag pole in a field. Another one throws out from under a pavilion past a big tire swing. Two more throw in between abandoned cabins in the woods. There are some real sick up and downs, including one that must drop 70 feet (made the mistake of using a driver, shot 150 feet past a 350+ foot basket). There are 20+ people cutting and raking and improving the place, so it won't be long before they have it groomed up even better.

Think J-Park during the early times, only with a YMCA camp as a construction site. I had a whole batch of fun. It is worth checking out.
Trust me, I'm a science teacher. I know the meaning of fear.

PDGA#54361

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Tue May 15, 2012 7:19 am

My best friend lives in Beacon, he just bought a house there. Last summmer when I was down there for a visit we took a ride over to the course which was not a course really at that point. The place is kinda creepy like Camp Crytal Lake from Friday the 13th. We were in a Jeep so we drove all around the course only found a few baskets. The place has potential. I can't wait to play there this summer with all the improvements.

Sancho
Intermediate

Post by Sancho » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Lovely course, Scoontar met up w/ me & the Mrs. for a round on Monday, the front nine plays more through the
campground/cabins/out buildings & the back nine is reminiscent of Hyzer & a touch of a Mountain course with the elevation.
Very fun course, lots of left handed holes! lots of Ace runs & plenty of birdie opportunities...
If only I could putt
definitely worth the trip from Albany
perhaps one of the monthly tag rounds???
everybody go play this one

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Sat May 25, 2013 11:46 am

Me and Gene are going to check out the course Memorial Monday. Who else wants to come? Leave 8ish for 1 singles tag match and another round of whatever we want to play dubs wolf skins match ript down for anything.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm a maybe. Supposed to go hiking in the Daks but if my friend backs out I'd be down for Beacon. Will let you know.
Be WE

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Ok so the beacn guys say there is a festival is going on and the course may be unplayable. Gene we gotta change plans.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Sat May 25, 2013 4:51 pm

You can still play Holes 1+2. 5-18. 3-4-5 are in the field, the rest are wooded.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 am

Jeff and I are going to check out Beacon Glades on Vets day. Anyone else wanna come?
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 am

I Could meet you guys. I was planning on playing tomorrow.