Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:04 pm 
Intermediate

Hyzer Creek was listed in the top 50 disc golf courses listed at dgcoursereview.com as of the end of 2008. Considering there are more then 2900 courses on the site thats awfully impressive.

Other NY courses in the top 50
6. Warwick
28. Chestnut Ridge
33. TC3
34. Hyzer Creek
41. Baker Farm

BTW - J-Park's rating would have put it at 36 if it had the minumum required reviews.

You guys do a great job with your courses. I'm looking forward to taking my first trip to hyzer in 2009 and seeing another course in the capital district soon.

Here is the rest of the list
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses_2008.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:11 pm 
Discussion Pro

not that our courses aren't great, but it sounds a bit skewed somehow. I read about so many awesome courses, and never hear about the NY ones besides Warwick.

PDGA#35267
http://love146.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:53 pm 
WTF ??!!!

BigDave wrote:
Hyzer Creek was listed in the top 50 disc golf courses listed at dgcoursereview.com as of the end of 2008.

BTW - J-Park's rating would have put it at 36 if it had the minumum required reviews.

Looks like everyone has to get on the ball and write up a positive review for J-Park

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 pm 
Discussion Pro

Hey not bad. Rank #34 out of 2900? Wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 am 
tc3 baby!!....stats can be misconstrued...dont really think this is accurate but ill take it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:55 pm 
WTF ??!!!

#1 The reveiw is my opinion of J-Park, NOT a comparison of J-Park to other courses.
#2 Greg and your review of Hyzer had no influence on my review of J-Park.
#3 I've yet to play Warwick and will most likely never get to California to play DeLaveaga Park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:36 pm 
Intermediate

Rating a course is like reviewing a movie. Everybody has their own opinion based on their own likes and dislikes. Thats why I like that site. It does not let people arbitrarly assign a rating to a course without writing a review.

Take IMDB for example, you might get 1000 neo-nazis rate Schindlers List as a 1 and have no idea why the average rating is a 5. By requiring a review it allows users a better idea of whether a course fits your particular preferances. As somebody that has to drive at least an hour and a half to play a course with baskets this is a vital tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
Intermediate

By most accounts Lawrance of Arabia is one of the greatest things ever put to film, but I'd rather stare at a wall for for hours then be subjected to that pile of steaming crap for another 4 hours of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:08 pm 
very well said dave!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:42 pm 
Discussion Pro

What's the matter Big Dave, you don't like Gilbert Lakes or Bainbridge? I rate those 2 courses 5 stars all the way. Chains? Who needs chains? Fairways? What's that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 am 
Intermediate

Bainbridge.../cry....state taxpayers should get their money back on that one. The course gives the sport a bad name.

Gilbert lake's course was established in 1977 and may have been the Warwick of New York disc golf at the time (how many more could there have been 32 years ago?). It's actually not a bad little course and it is 10 minutes from my house. I play it a lot in the spring and fall but between Memorial Day and Labor Day I would rather spent $$ on gas driving to J-Park or Oxbow than the $7 to get into Gilbert Lake.

Gilbert Lake is a hidden gem in the NYSRP system, it is a huge beautiful park, with a nice beach (nice for upstate NY) great hiking trails, nice cabins, and its 15 minutes to both hall of fames. Not to mention it has a fun little disc golf course. Just don't visit the park thinking the course is the big drawing ammenity.

If you ever find yourself at Oquaga Park in Bainbridge, which is also a great park, don't bother even bringing a putter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm 
Discussion Pro

I was in Bainbridge once at Oquaga looking for the course and found it tucked away where nobody can find it. Nobody ever plays it. But somebody paints the poles and mows the fairways, even though all the local kids I talked to had no idea there was a course there or what disc golf was. It was installed in 1977 like Gilbert Lake and Green Lake, and all 3 of those were 9-hole courses with telephone poles as targets. The poles are cut off like maybe 9 feet tall, and painted. Green Lakes got chains in 1999 thanks to Gary Crowley and the Oxbow Falls crew.

I played Gilbert, it's kindergarden golf. It was deer season and there were literally 100's of deer in the park, just standing around. Somehow those animals know they won't get shot there during hunting season, because it's a state park, it's amazing how smart they are to know that. Those deer were not afraid of me either, normally deer run when they see people.

Didn't bother playing Oquaga. I would say it must be the worst disc golf course in the world.

Also from 1977 is Mt Kisco, which actually has had chains since 1977. Same Mach I chains it has now.

Post subject: course ratings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 am 
Advanced

Course ratings are always subject to the likes and dislikes of the player writing the review.... players who are big arms with a huge hyzer shot, generally will bad mouth courses with low ceilings, crooked and tight fairways, where accuracy, course management and placement is necessary. Thus, they will call it a "poke and hope" course. Those players most likely need to work on their accuracy skills and course management.
I certainly would not rank J park too high for sheer topography, because we have little. I feel it is an enjoyable, easy to play course, with demand of various shot styles and pinpoint drives are needed to birdie many of our well guarded baskets. That is probably as good as one could do with limited room and topography.
Hyzer Creek , on the other hand, has all you need from mother nature for a top 20 Disc Golf Course, but needs 1000 stumps pulled, massive work on tee boxes, nice benches, bathroom facilities, a "real fairway" for hole 16, massive removal of downed timber, some more parking area, etc. Now if Moe could only marry a rich girl or hit the lotto, you could have a world class facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:50 pm 
Discussion Pro

Hyzer needs concrete tee pads, fairway 17 needs to be drained, needs a pro shop and hot dog stand, clubhouse with liquor license, etc. I like all the stumps though, they are not a problem. If you don't want to hit the stumps just aim around them. Hole 16 has a real fairway. Maybe I can knock out some trees at the top, but down towards the creek the fairway is fabulous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:24 pm 
Discussion Pro

1. Flip City Disc Golf Park Shelby, MI 24
This is disc golfing's "Field of Dreams". Beautiful course, created, and maintained by one man since 1980. simply amazing. extreme elevation changes, alt. tees. Bring bug spray in the spring and fall. Port-a-potties on site. Camping on site. Privately owned but open to disc golfers. Donations gladly accepted. Can just show up and play.
2. Idlewild Burlington, KY 26
Professional caliber - Beautiful rolling hills with some water hazards. Good variety, from light to heavily wooded. Accuracy and placement as important as distance. Extra large cement teepads. Allow 2-3 hours to complete all 18.
3. Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) Estacada, OR 12
Home of the Beaver State Fling. Fantastic course winds over rolling terrain, with scenic hillsides, hiking trails and river access. The park charges $3/car which adds up to a lot and they put a lot of that income back into the course. Recent improvements include quality tee signs and benches. Fantastic tee-pads, well maintained greens, camping, etc.
4. Pier Park Portland, OR 10
Beautiful course in city park... 200ft tall douglas firs in play on almost every hole. Plays pretty long.
5. Richmond Hill Asheville, NC 10
This course was designed with the serious player in mind. Currently 16 holes have alternate pin placements. Long pants recommended - poison oak/ivy. Screws on the tee signs designate basket position.
6. Brakewell Steel / Warwick Town Park Warwick, NY 18
Magnificently manicured world-class course featuring rolling terrain, beautiful views and great variety. Some tight woods and some long open holes with excellent use of ridges and small cliffs. Dual tees - pro tees marked with steel animals. Dual baskets allow play on any of 4 layouts, ranging from 4800 ft to 8805 ft.
7. Tyler State Park Newtown, PA 14
27 hole course, length depends on hole position. Course can range from 5300 feet and at least 10 deuce runs to 15000 feet and maybe 2 at best. Not all holes in same positions as others. Many minor tournaments occur. Host to Eric C. Yetter Memorial Champions Cup Super A Tour tournament each September. Elevation and woods play a key role with few open holes and few water interferences. Check out the nearby waterfall around 6 and 9!
8. Deer Lakes Park Tarentum, PA 13
Opened in 2006, the course takes its name from three fishing lakes and a healthy deer herd in this 1,180 acre regional Allegheny County park. The par-66 disc golf course features a front and back nine layout that loop from the Blue Gill parking lot. Two practice baskets, bathrooms and a pavilion are among the park facilities available to disc golfers.
9. DeLaveaga Park Santa Cruz, CA 22
The De Laveaga Disc Golf Course is one of the most highly rated disc golf courses in the world. It is famous for its inspiring natural setting, as well as for its uncompromising challenge. The course was originally installed in 1984, with the vision & hard work of local Tom Schot [1991 Grand Master World Champion.]
10. Moraine State Park Portersville, PA 13
The Lakeview course is a par-66 championship level course, with two par 5s, eight par 4s, and eight challenging par 3s. J Gary Dropcho, Chris Deitzel, KB Clark, Leo Liller and Bryan Wright designed the course. The course features a set of Gold tees, rated at 1000, Blue tees, rated at 950, with a set of beginner-friendly White tees (900) also marked.

The views and scenery on the course are spectacular, and the fairways covered in grass, ferns or carpets of moss. Most holes have an elevated tee or green and fairways are mostly open with many well positioned trees guarding greens. A round of golf at Moraine is a strenuous but rewarding workout.

11. Freeman Lake Park Elizabethtown, KY 15
12. Banklick Woods Park Independence, KY 16
13. Knob Hill Park Warrendale, PA 10
14. Cedar Hill Park Nashville, TN 14
15. Renaissance Park Charlotte, NC 13
16. Charlie Vettiner Park Louisville, KY 20
17. Harry Myers DGC Rockwall, TX 10
18. Mt. Airy Forest Cincinnati, OH 13
19. La Mirada Regional Park La Mirada, CA 11
20. Kereiakes Park Bowling Green, KY 15
21. Ross Barnett Reservoir - The Rez DGC Brandon, MS 10
22. Z-Boaz Park Fort Worth, TX 10