Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Work days at Hyzer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:22 pm 
WTF ??!!!

sounds like the locals are out preparing the course for The April Showers Tournament........... I'll be out there Sunday to help and play. I'll bring the camera and post pics of the conditions Sunday evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 pm 
Discussion Pro

Today I checked out Hyzer

Hole 1 didn't need any work
Hole 2 is badly overgrown and needs to be groomed, Mike G. and Dave Sawyer adopted this fairway, looks like they groomed it maybe a month ago...needs it again very badly
Hole 3 was fine didn't need anything
Hole 4 was immaculately groomed by the Cox brothers, it's the best kept hole on the course. Spotless.
Hole 5 had lots of tiny baby trees in the fairway, pine, hemlock, maple, beech and oak. These baby trees have only one goal in life, and that is to become big trees. It took me about an hour to convince them that life as a tree in a disc golf fairway simply is not worth living. Somebody needs to adopt this hole real soon.
Hole 6 needed no work
Hole 7 is groomed immaculately by Bob Goodwin although he seems to be too lenient on the tiny trees and is allowing too many to work towards their goal. I sent many to a seedling's grave.
Hole 8 was a mess of raspberry and fern. Took me an hour and maybe threw my back out in the process. This hole needs somebody to adopt it. I'm too old for that shinola, 52 with a heart condition. Can't do this shinola.
Hole 9 needed no work.

So hole 2 is the weak link. Anybody want to groom it? Anybody want to adopt it? The $5 donations pay for taxes, it sure and hell doesn't pay for me to groom 18 holes and I'm not going to do it. People who pay $5 and expect a perfectly groomed course for that much money are dreaming...they need to pay $20 or $50 for that. Duh!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:14 pm 
Discussion Pro

That's great news Morgan.
There is a lot of territory up there to keep you busy.
I'll be up in August and work on Hole 17.
Hole 12 sounds like you're still perfecting it.
Down to Cranberry this Sat.
Thanks for everything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm 
Novice

ya sorry morgan on hole 2 I've been super busy .Went today and played the front hole two(my hole) does need to be whacked hopefully sunday is the day for that hope too see you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 pm 
Discussion Pro

Thanks Mike and thanks for adopting such a tough hole, that one is sure a lot of work to keep groomed. Keep up the good work! Disc golf depends on disc golfers who are willing to kick ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 am 

Pleez keep an eye open for my light green 150g Sidewinder before you mow the right side of #12!!!!! There's a negotiable finder's fee.

PDGA #1752
http://www.teamrizbee.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:25 pm 
Discussion Pro

I want to thank whoever cleaned up the area around the campfire place where there have been 100's of beer bottles and cans and other trash building up. Went there today and it was all cleaned up!

Awesome dude! Sweet! Looks nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 pm 
Novice

Well with the upcoming battle just around the corner hyzer needs a little tlc.The way I see it morgans has done more than enough up there.So it's time for some people to step up and help a little.Theres not much that needs to be done. I would say the biggest priorty is hole #17 .There is no tee box of any sort there and the fair way really needs some help.1 through8 look decent I can hit 10 with the weed whacker.11 good 12 good .13 good 14 needs some help with the tee we could use the stone from the old 17 pad for 14? 15 16 18 good.Anyone that wants in on this let me know and we can arrange a day for some work/play.Can't wait for the battle although I do believe I am the one man hyzer army .J-park army going down. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm 
Discussion Pro

Was at Hyzer today the course looks great. Hole 2 and 4 are super thanks to Mike G. and Cox family. I mowed hole 12 all the way to the creek, Down there it's a sea of giant rocks, what a pain. Did hole 15 too it's nice now. Hole 17 tee pad still doesn't exist. Bob Goodwin is doing hole 10 now, looks great!

Thanks everybody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 am 
Discussion Pro

Tim and I worked on tee 17. We rearranged the pad and it's the best
rendition yet. We need 6 pieces of rebar to hold the dirt in the box area. We saw the new path from 16 to tee 17 and right now both paths need more work. First time I've seen the new path from 1 to tee 2, makes good sense. Cut and dragged various little branches off the course. And in the karma department, when we shot a round, I hit the 17 pole with my drive for an easy deuce. I ended up with a 59 and Tim shot 58. Things were plenty spongey but in great shape. All the mowed fairways are perfect, very few ferns to contend with and the bugs weren't bad. Found a Sam C. white wraith on 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
Intermediate

Morgan, I was wondering if you minded me clearing some of the stumps that are on the course. I wanted to lower some of them and I know not everyone who sponsors a hole can use a chainsaw, so I'm willing to help on that end. I will probably be out there on Sunday at some point, if I see you I'll discuss in person.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 am 
Discussion Pro

Not to discourage D-Bone, but because there are lots of stumps to remove. There are some slow and easy tree stump removal methods. Two of which are mentioned here:
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylan ... emoval.htm this explains removal by 1) Maddock, 2) soaking, covering and waiting, and 3) one that involves kerosene and fire.

Also search the web for growing edible mushrooms on the stumps.

Last edited by Ven on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am 
Discussion Pro

Stump Removal at Hyzer Creek. Great :idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm 
Intermediate

I was just thinking of step three Ven. The rest can go naturally, I just wanted to get them closer to flush. If its feasible, I'd get them an inch or two lower than flush, so they can be covered with soil/detritus. It would give the course a more natural, established feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 pm 
Discussion Pro

I figured there were so many stumps, you'd never be able to cut them all down to ground level, then the rest could be given the slow treatments.