Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 pm 
Discussion Pro

Just saw another post talking about somebody going to play their first round at Hyzer. Reminded me of my first time.

Fall of '07 I had been in Albany for maybe 3 weeks and had been to J park a few times. Met Greg and Scoontar and a few others and they kept telling me to go play Hyzer Creek. I had been getting better at J park so one afternoon I decided to go check out the Creek before meeting up with my then-girlfriend in Saratoga. Shanked nearly every drive into the shule and couldn't belive that I could go from playing J park what I thought then was decently to being brutally ravaged by the beast that is the crick! I think I threw my bag a few times even with my low standards for DG success at the time. Put it right into the water on 16 probably for a double-digit score on the hole. Kinda fed up after 18 and definitely put back in my place DG-esteem-wise I headed over to Saratoga and got dumped! hahaha My subconscious pent-up frustration from the Crick might have had something to do with it. drove back to my basement apartment off Lark st. in a combination of tears and elation and itching to go play some more DG and forget about it. Started going to J park or Hyzer 4 times a week til dark and later on ended up sticking around the area partly because of all to good folks I had met. The rest is history. It was pretty life-changing I guess.

How was your first time at the Crick?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:39 am 
Discussion Pro

Wish I could remember the first time. Probably saw Hole 12 and have been coming back ever since.
Remember helping Morgan figure out the connector hole from 10 to 12.
We were looking for a route and saw that straight line of trees that form the left side of the fairway.
Still has to be the narrowest fairway on the course.
My favorite remembrance is of Morgan yelling at Tim and I for not wanting to pick up BOULDERS and drag
them off fairway 12. We were there to help clear the fairway, ya know, weed whack the grass, drag off trees,
but carrying coffee table sized rocks off the fairway was too much for me. lol so worth it! I can't believe how
beautiful it's become.
When that reporter came up to do a story and I hit that 80 footer on Hole 1, (on the first take I might add),
made my day. Thanks Morgan, thanks Will

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 pm 
Advanced

~4 years ago on a very hungover sunday, some friends including Lisa R said we should go play disc golf "out in galway by the cheese store". I didn't really know what was going on. I always hated frisbees - i still cant throw the old fashioned things to save my life. But we got to Hyzer and I was brutally bad. So bad I was convinced myself I needed to figure it out. So i mentioned it to a buddy of mine, Kiere, that my other friends brought me out this disc golf course in Galway. Kiere explained he had been playing the game for years before in Colorado and Western NY... we decided it was something we should start doing regularly - so it became so. I continue to get upset I can't do better and that's what I continually try to do at the crick.

I remember the first time we encountered a tournament at Hyzer before I knew anybody at DisCap (aside from Morgan). I was with Kiere... I remember meeting Carolyn and her asking if we knew Michigan Jeff, we responded "no" and she was devastated :lol: she said we couldn't play and we did NOT like that! I think we left and came back. it's about now I think I am about to mix up two different instances. One time we got lucky and no one noticed we started playing at the turn of the tournament (unbeknownst to us) - i think we didn't mess anything up. Another time i think we played through a tournament but no one ever waited on us.

Love the Creek 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 pm 
WTF ??!!!

I remember you and Kiere being at a tournament.

My first time was Feb 10 2008......... played hole 1 and left. It was a bit buried.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:36 am 
Discussion Pro

Greg wrote:
Wish I could remember the first time. Probably saw Hole 12 and have been coming back ever since.
Remember helping Morgan figure out the connector hole from 10 to 12.
We were looking for a route and saw that straight line of trees that form the left side of the fairway.
Still has to be the narrowest fairway on the course.
My favorite remembrance is of Morgan yelling at Tim and I for not wanting to pick up BOULDERS and drag
them off fairway 12. We were there to help clear the fairway, ya know, weed whack the grass, drag off trees,
but carrying coffee table sized rocks off the fairway was too much for me. lol so worth it! I can't believe how
beautiful it's become.
When that reporter came up to do a story and I hit that 80 footer on Hole 1, (on the first take I might add),
made my day. Thanks Morgan, thanks Will

Yeah, and 12 years later, coffee table size boulders are still popping up. Take a look at all the giant boulders that surround the fairway. They all used to be IN the fairway, buried in the ground with just a big tip sticking up so they looked like small rocks. I thought we could pull the small rocks but they always turned out to be iceberg tips of giant rocks. Makes me admire the farmers in the 1700's who had to pull all the boulders before they could plant crops. How the heck did they do it?

Hole 11 was a gimme. God planted a row of trees in a perfect straight line. Greg and I said, like Larry David would say "That's a show" we said "That's a hole."

I remember my first time at the creek. The real estate lady said the land was 29 acres and it only went down to the creek and stopped, she said it was all swampy and I should forget about it. I checked it out from the car and yeah, what you see from the road was all swampy (down where the path to hole 10 is now was pure swamp, hole 1 and 2 were swamp at the bottom), there were a few parts that weren't swamp, but the part before the creek sure wan't 29 acres. It looked more like 5 acres. There must be more land that she didn't know about. I went to the county office in Ballston Spa to look at the tax map and deed, and it said the land went way past the creek, up another ridge, and then up a 3rd ridge and down to a stone wall. So I went back by myself and looked again, tresspassing. I went up the logging trail (where 9 and 8 are now) walked all around where 15 and 6 and 7 are, saw the stone wall at the back. No swamp. This land was perfect. Hills, a creek, very little swamp, some logging trails already cleared that could be fairways. Totally perfect. She said it was just the part before the creek, she didn't even know where the land was, or how big 29 acres was.

Then I called the real estate lady and said, yeah it's all swamp and terrible, but I'll offer (enter extreme lowball figure for swamp). The land had been on the market for 2 years because she told all the prospective buyers it was all swamp. What a dope. I kept my mouth shut of course about how it's not swamp. She put in the offer and they accepted it. Total $22,000 for 5 acres of swamp that was really 29 acres of mostly dry land.

Score one for disc golf. I put in hole 9 and started hole 1 before the closing. Tresspassing!! I got rid of the swap by digging that big ditch and making a dry path to hole 10, Dug another ditch to drain hole 1 and 2.

I never saw another disc golfer at Hyzer until Matt DeAngelis popped up when we were clearing hole 12. Then Greg found out and called me, and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 am 
Discussion Pro

My first time was years ago maybe 03-04 not sure but I still had my Ninja 600r. I found the course info online had just moved to Albany. Hadn't played dg since moving back from the West Coast prior to that so I was pumped to play Da Crick you see. Found the place had a time parking the bike in that lot. Met up with Morgan and Sara. I think I had two disc with me and Morgan lent me another. Don't recall much from our round other than a long birdie on hole 10.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:15 pm 
Discussion Pro

First Time going to Hyzer Creek was in August-2004. It was my first time seeing a Disc Golf course. I was very excited when I parked, and saw basket 9. I thought hole 1 looked amazing. I had only 3 discs-Dx Leopard-Dx Shark, and a Dx Aviar. My first drive sailed past the basket, but skipped into the creek. The Shark and Aviar, I shanked both shots to the right. I only threw Left Hand Back hand. I spent several minutes searching for the Shark, and Aviar, eventually finding them. I then spent 30 frustrating minutes trying to find my Eagle in the Creek. I never found it. I was completely deflated. I threw a couple drives on hole 2, and then left. I thought Hyzer Creek was really cool, but really hard. Even though I was bummed that my First experience wasn't very good-it motivated me to buy new Discs on Ebay, buy a bag, and learn how to throw and play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 pm 
Discussion Pro

2007 maybe? Dwayne Volckmann and I heard about this new sport and that there was a course in Ravena. So we both purchased the innova starter pack at Dick's, but I also spent a little extra on a "fancy" Champion Beast. Went to Jpark on a Saturday and had a blast, immediately fell in love with the game. I found out about the Crick online, so the very next day we tried it out. Dwayne lost a disc on hole one. We spent a lot of time searching for lost discs. On hole twelve I lost that beast in the shule on the left. Devastated about losing the special disc I spent a whole $15 on, I quit. Dwayne played the rest of the course while I walked it. We went back to J Park and it was a long time before trying Hyzer Creek again.

The bright side, somebody found my beast and sent it back to me in the mail. Since then I've lost that beast at least half a dozen times but it always comes back to me. I still have it.

PDGA#35267
http://love146.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:51 pm 

I am heading up there this weekend with some friends. We want to camp and such. That cool? Never played there. Super excited.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
I Am "They"

Free to camp. Say Hi and thank Morgan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:24 pm 

Thanks "They". Do you know if there is access to potable water or do we bring that in? I will def say hi to morgan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 pm 
I Am "They"

Morgan has a hose spigot in the back of his shack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 am 

Thanks Prez!