Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Course improvements
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:04 pm 
Discussion Pro

is 414 the old length? it sure felt that long before. if so it must approaching 550!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:05 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Might hafta sneak out there Sunday.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm 
Discussion Pro

I'll be here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:49 pm 
Discussion Pro

Today I moved the pin and the course is pro par 62 now.

Now to look around for more par 3 holes that need a stroke added. To use an expression from black jack made famous by American Idol:

Hole 1 is safe.
Hole 2 is safe.
Hole 3 is safe.
Hole 4 is safe.
Hole 5 and 8 are already par 4 or 5.
Hole 9 is safe.
Hole 11 is safe.
Hole 12, 14, 15, 16 are already par 4 or more.
Hole 13 is safe.
Hole 18 is safe.

Now what to do about 6, 7, 10, and 17?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:40 pm 
Discussion Pro

How many par 3s at Hyzer can't be changed? 1, 2, 3, 9, 11, 18, and 13 (could be changed, but good hole now). From the map seems like room to change 5, 6, 7, & 8. Tees # 10 & 17 can be moved back a lot. Hole 13 could be played tee 13 to basket 14, hole 15 could be lengthened and changed to 14, and then a new hole 15 from 15 basket to 16 tee. If 15 becomes 14 and a big dog leg right, new 15 might be a par 4.

There is a way to add a par without adding distance: to have a lake, or huge ditch or corner at the usual long drive, so you have to lay up in front of the obstacle. I am not a fan of water (lost discs are discouraging and drought changes the course) but huge ditches & severe corners are cool. I can't see topography...

Change hole 4 tee completely, then 3 could be a lot longer. Fit another hole in that corner. Combine 6 & 7 (play from tee 6 to basket 7). Or Combine 13 & 14.

or Make 5 a lot longer into corner, then 6 could be longer.

Plenty of room to move 10 tee back. Could 17 start due East of basket 16 and be a dog leg par 4?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm 
Discussion Pro

Morgan on the move
I like the idea of longer 15. longer holes are OK by me.
Not sure about reinstating 17 using Fairway 12's section as part of the route.
As much as we liked that tee box, it leads to too much tournament trauma.
Push back basket 13
The course is great the way it is. Longer doesn't automatically mean better.
The trend may be towards longer courses but Hyzer already has some big holes.
Just my 2 cents. Thanks Morgan for all the great work you've already done

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm 
Discussion Pro

Short holes are good but there are too many. 11 is short but an awesome hole. 18 goes without saying. 3 is super short but tricky and awesome. 13 with the awesome pin placement is perfect. Those 4 shorty holes are perfect as they are. 1 and 2 are untouchable. But that should be enough shorty holes. Hole 6 is short but worthless. That's a bullshit hole. And 17 the way it is now is sweet but MUCH too short. That should be the end of a par 5 hole starting at old 17 tee and going left of 12's fairway somehow so it doesn't interfere with 12. Greg that's a sweet tee box as you say, and gives a great view of the sharp shooters on 12 who think they can throw but skank it into the woods on either side. Great place to get some laughs. I still have a 10 foot concrete slab and can schlep it out there tomorrow. Then we can figure out where the fairway goes. I hate 17 as it is, it blows.

I like Ven's idea of combining 6 and 7, but I also like the idea of moving 6's pin a huge amount forward and having 7's tee box near there and have 6 and 7 both be par 4's.

I'm gonna draw up a crazy map and post it at http://www.hyzercreek.com/crazymap.htm in a few minutes for fun. Look for it by 8 PM tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 pm 
Discussion Pro

OK I just posted it. On "crazy map" I changed 6, 10 and 17. Holes 6 and 10 would be par 4 and 17 would be par 5 brings us to par 66. That's getting up towards par 70 and 72 like ball golf courses are, and really far from par 54 pitch and putt courses.

17 from the old launching pad connecting with new 17 would be for pro and advanced groups only. A 720 foot par 5 hole. Am's and women play new 17 shorty as it is now, so we didn't make all those mudways for nothing. After playing hole 16, the am groups go one way and the pros use old 17 for the monster hole. This way if only a few groups play old 17 it won't clog up 12 so much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm 
Discussion Pro

That sounds AWESOME!!! when you're gonna cut out bomb-17's fairway let me know, i'll try to be there with my saw.

Your plans for 6 and 7 sound equally amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:11 pm 
Discussion Pro

looks like theres a lot of space in the bottom left corner of the map. what about adding 2 more? looks like they couldn't be as big as your latest additions, but you could put them between 5 and bomb-6 to break them up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 pm 
Discussion Pro

I have only 2 concrete slabs left to move. One is a 10 footer I was gonna use for hole 15 but that tee pad is already good. I'll drag it to old 17. The other pad is 6 footer, to drag to new 17 for the ams and juniors.

I really don't want ams and juniors throwing from old 17 because they probably can't reach across the creek and will get pissed off. Pros can throw to the left of the 300 foot rock (back side of 12's 400 foot rock) and into the woods towards the pin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:59 am 
Discussion Pro

Will I'd be glad if you helped. Thanks. Bring your chainsaw and whiskey and a flash light.

I cut the fairway for new 14 many years ago and just left all the dead trees in the fairway to rot while we used old 14 for like 3 years or so. All the trees in new 14 fairway dried up and rotted and then one day Bob Goodwin and I just walked around and crunched it all down with our feet and in 1/2 hour they were all gone! It just disappeared, except the big logs. That is how we can clear 17 easily. Just cut it all down and leave it to rot in the fairway for 3 years. Beats the hell out of having to drag it all away and burn it. Too much work. Where would we drag it? Into 12 fairway and make a bonfire? Ugh, what a mess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 am 
Discussion Pro

Your ideas sound Great Morgan. I like the idea of using 17's Tee etc, and 12's fairway-like it used to be. Par 66 + growing!! Sounds Sweet!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:17 pm 
Discussion Pro

Today I loaded a 10 foot slab on the trailer. Will move it when we all agree where it should go:

Hole 12? That tee is fine. Actually, it's oresome.
Hole 15? Maybe, but 10 feet is actually too short and it's already 15 and good.
Old 17? Talk to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm 
Discussion Pro

Old 17 Yes!! 17 A + B. Now you have 19 holes. Will you have 19 Pins?

17B's Tee was one of my favorites to Launch from.

When Dubs is held at Hyzer-you have to play 17B. No problems with 17 going up 12 for Dubs.

Maybe you can figure out a 19 hole Par 70 Course-If you can't get to 70+ with 18.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next