Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 pm 
Intermediate

OK, I had heard about Hyzer. Read the reviews. Even being new, I wasn't THAT worried. Ha!

Went up with Big Dave and another today and got my rear whipped. I was chucking in and out of woods all day, hitting nearly every tree on the course and finding ways of getting my discs wet.

Walking out with all my discs felt like a moral victory!

That being said, I can't wait to play this one again. And again. I can't imagine tournaments here as 36 in one day must be something on the ol' body.

Awesome course. The reviews and everything I've heard really are dead on about how great this course is.

We did hear a shotgun today, though. Kind of nuts when you're flinging a disc and hear that!

My kudos to Morgan and everyone else who helps with this course. Awesome!

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor

Post subject: Re: Wow...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:56 am 
Intermediate

The thing that I think is really unique about Hyzer Creek is that it is a tremendously difficult course that is surprisingly newbie friendly. To some extent, this holds true for all three of Discap's major courses, but until recently I would not have included Hyzer on my list of ideal courses to pop a disc golf cherry.

Saturday was the second time I have taken a first time disc golfer to Hyzer Creek. Both trips have been great successes. Hyzer's mix of long and accurate shots, use of elevation, and creative pin placements are what make Hyzer a destination disc golf course for experienced players. However, the clearly defined fairways and lack of thick brush off the fairways make the course very newbie friendly. For example, hole 12 is the danger hole for lost discs at Hyzer but the fairway is so wide a new player has little chance of even reaching the rough. It is the experienced players that are trying to throw for the 400 or 500 foot rock that are going to chance turning one over and loosing a disc to the left or right.

Contrastingly, I have, in the past, taken new players to TC3 (disclaimer, I love TC3) and it played too hard for a first time player. A disc off the fairway at TC3 is generally landing in tall grass or thick shrubs and it takes time to find. Stopping to spend 10 minutes to look for plastic on every other hole makes it hard to get into a flow and just have fun. I have also in the past tried Jamesville Beach for a first time player but all the long holes also become frustrating for new players. Even playing with a noodle arm like me, new players have to throw two or three times to catch up to my drive at a course like Jamesville.

My favorite courses to take virgin golfers too:

Oxbow - Like Hyzer Creek, amateur level players are going to have more difficulty when going off the fairway then first time players. If a new player heads off the fairway it does not tend to go deep (execpt 9 and 18). Holes 4, 6, and 13 give new players a chance at their first par or birdie. The short distances make the course less intimidating when playing with an experienced player, however holes 1 and 10 still give an opportunity to try a fairly unobstructed drive.

J-Park - Variety is the draw of the J. After 27 holes at Joralemon a new player has seen a ton of different hole types. Like Hyzer, there is limited chances for a lost disc at J-Park for a new player. The water is not in play for players throwing short and the mature woods are punishing to the scorecard without stealing a lot of plastic like long grass or thick shrubs. Pars are hard to find for a first time player at the J.

Central Park - It was essential to the success of this course to develop short tees that are welcoming to new players. The designers did a great job with this. The white tees are well thought out, challenging, and balanced for right and left handed players. The one addition I would suggest is a short tee on 18 that is either forward of the blue tee so the water is directly in front of the tee (like hole 5) or one that is on the other side of the water, angled in a manner to take the road out of play.

What are your favorite introductory courses and why?

PDGA #42674
CNYDGA #120