Battle of Saratoga 12 (2014) talk

timdef
Discussion Pro

Re: Battle of Saratoga 2014

Post by timdef » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Morgan wrote:Calling Tim D. or other who may be interested in TD'ing this

October is 3 months away

is there a way to make the battle more than just an super-organized monthly? NEFA? PDGA?

i thought this would be October 11 and Hunter on September 27 (Hunter Hangtime 2014 recently disintegrated)... NOW the Ace Race is being floated for October 11... If September 27 is a new date then it COULD play in to NEFA, right?

:think:

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am

Only 1 nefa event per course per year. April Showers was the nefa event.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Re: Battle of Saratoga 12! (2014)

Post by Morgan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm

I look back at the thread and in January it looked like Ryan Savage was going to TD this. I think it's time to nail down a date and get PDGA sanctioning.

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

The other thread said Ryan Savage was going to TD this. Let me know.

October 11 or 12 is better than late Oct for the Battle. We've had snow before and the sun lets later. Ace Race is one round? Maybe better to have that in late Oct??

closed
Advanced

Post by closed » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:21 pm

I am unavailable due to work.

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Hey it's not like I can't TD it myself. I just wanted to spread the fun around.

Who wants to be a TD?

timdef
Discussion Pro

Post by timdef » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Do we make the battle the match play thing Bertram wanted to do...?

maybe it loses the "dust shaker" moniker but the concept lives. many battles to played in head-to-head (match-play) format. Hopefully it works for Matt?

Morgan?

germs
Discussion Pro

Post by germs » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:29 pm

timdef wrote:Do we make the battle the match play thing Bertram wanted to do...?

maybe it loses the "dust shaker" moniker but the concept lives. many battles to played in head-to-head (match-play) format. Hopefully it works for Matt?

Morgan?

Matt just announced that he is moving away from the Albany area soon...

Maybe ask Joe Gas? I know he took his PDGA official's exam.
Travis Bushore
PDGA # 58542
NEFA # 1938

throwfromthewoods12
Intermediate

Post by throwfromthewoods12 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:38 pm

I had talked to Kenji about the possibility of using the Dust Shaker model for the Battle. Just because the area is obviously over-saturated with tournaments, and trying to make them all viable is just not realistic. I was trying to find a time for the Dust Shaker, but the NEFA Finals, Hunter Hangtime, Ace Race, and the Battle were all up in the air without set dates. So it was borderline impossible to pin down a date without a very distinct possibility I would be putting myself up against an established tournament.

I had every intention to make it work. And to be honest, I didn't expect to get this job. I was up against a few people who were far more tenured in my company than I. But, they offered me a $10,000 raise and it's moving to a place a lot cheaper than Albany, so I couldn't turn it down.

If someone decides they want to TD the Battle and use the match play model, I am more than happy to give them all my spreadsheets and payout charts. Once you wrap your head around how it works, it's actually pretty simple to operate. I had even toyed with the idea of TDing it and just coming back to the region for that weekend. I don't think that's going to be an option, though.

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 pm

It looks like battle of Saratoga is going to be non-Pdga this year. I think the 3rd week in oct would be good to have it as the October monthly, so not to conflict with ace race

What do people think?

timdef
Discussion Pro

Post by timdef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:21 am

i see a dilemma... I was hoping we have a pirate monthly at the State Park... as you know I have been shouting from the mountain tops that a battle of Saratoga at Hyzer needs to happen.

Maybe we need more peoples input...? I suppose if the state park thing doesn't pan out then the decision is obvious.

btw, I should at Hyzer this weekend

Joe Gas
Intermediate

Post by Joe Gas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:27 am

Ok so I for one don't want to lose 2 PDGA tournaments in our area this year, and being that the battle is much longer running, I'd like to see this one stay intact.

With that said, it looks like we could still run this as a PDGA event on the 25th or 26th. Snow might be a possibility at that point, but who doesn't like a little snow anyway? If that scares a lot of people, we can run it on the 11th. If we choose to do the 11th of Oct., I will not be able to TD, but if we do the 25th or 26th, I would be willing to step up and run this with some input from Michigan Jeff, and possibly a Co TD to help me run things and pop my TD cherry. What are everyone's thoughts on that?
PDGA#-53052
NEFA#-1651

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 am

I'll help where I can.
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

timdef
Discussion Pro

Post by timdef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 am

Joe Gas wrote:Ok so I for one don't want to lose 2 PDGA tournaments in our area this year, and being that the battle is much longer running, I'd like to see this one stay intact.

With that said, it looks like we could still run this as a PDGA event on the 25th or 26th. Snow might be a possibility at that point, but who doesn't like a little snow anyway? If that scares a lot of people, we can run it on the 11th. If we choose to do the 11th of Oct., I will not be able to TD, but if we do the 25th or 26th, I would be willing to step up and run this with some input from Michigan Jeff, and possibly a Co TD to help me run things and pop my TD cherry. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

i'll help where i can (extra set of hands) but I am not a TD-seasoned person.

i agree with the loss of 2 PDGA events in 1 year... I am just intending to rally a lot of support for State park monthly... part of larger plan to get Saratoga State Park off the ground. I consider a big turnout critical to that event's success... probably should move that discussion here: http://discap.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=2144&start=150

I love Hyzer. It will always be my favorite place outside of my home so this is truly a dilemma for me. I would actually be happy to work State Park "event/monthly" around a Hyzer Battle of Saratoga. I just need a reasonable solution for Saratoga State Park.

Chicken Talon
Novice

Post by Chicken Talon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am

To loose the battle and the hang time would be a billy fucillio sized bummer. I'm down to help in anyway I can to make one of these dreams a possibility for discap. We need to be growing and making our tournaments the ones other clubs want to travel for. I don't know what I can do to help but let me know and let's get this done!